What do I do with a lost or damaged access card?

Pay As You Go (PAYG) & Company Paid

If you have lost or damaged your Access Card, you can arrange a replacement by completing the following steps:

    1. Please visit: Staff Parking Change Request Form.
    2. Complete the short form and submit. A member of our team will match the details in our system and email you a link to complete a Change Request From.
    3. On the email, select ‘Complete Change Request’.
    4. Tick the boxes relevant to your change request and add the updated details.
    5. Submit form. (A member of our team will review these details and send email confirmation once complete).
    6. Your Access Card will take approximately 3 business days. Once ready you will receive an email with instructions on where to collect your card.


Please Note: A replacement fee of $25.00 will be charged on collection.